Friday 27 March 2009

Battlestar Galactica - The Finale

Well, the show is finished. At first I was just tuning in to the space battles, but then I started to get hooked on the themes. For a show primarily based on the last humans fighting killer robots, there sure were a lot of themes. Torture, Politics, Power, Terrorism, Justice, Rights - hell, there was a lot of morality in there.

See, some of the best episodes of any TV show that I have ever watched came from Galactica. With the Pegasus and New Caprica storylines, I was enthralled. Those were simply incredible. Looking back on it, as a whole, it was a fantastic show. Not flawless, not perfect, but brilliant despite, nay because, of it.

Problem was the finale. When I watched it, I liked it. Problem is, that after a thinking about it for a few days, its plot failings keep rising in my mind.

'Twas a disappointing end. The "answers" just confirmed what we already knew, and not in a good way. Imagine if the answer of Lost was indeed "purgatory", how disappointed would everyone be... still, it was a valiant attempt. Just a shame they never lived up to the superb earlier episodes; to the build-up they had given it.

I can empathise that the writers had no idea where they were going, that they had written themselves into too many corners, and that is a huge shame. Once again, this is a series where I try to forget the finale, the answers, when remembering the early episodes.

SPOILER

See, I liked it when it was a gritty sci-fi action show that set out to plausibly show people reacting in 'realistic' feeling ways to the extreme circumstances they found themselves in, using the familiar old premise from the original BSG show. Finding out I was watching the kind of show which has literal angels, and where God is the final answer to all the questions raised over the series, was an incredible letdown.

Don't get me wrong, the finale was good TV - it just doesn't fit with what I wanted from the ending of Galactica. Oh well...

No comments: