Sunday 28 June 2009

Contact Lenses

Anyways, I recently decided to take up the opticians on their offer of a free trial on contact lenses. I normally don't even think about my glasses while I am wearing them, but sometimes it would be far easier to be spectacle-free. When playing football for example, or whilst out for the evening. Also, glasses have a habit of getting blurry in the rain, so contact lenses would be practical in many ways.

So, as I was saying, a few weeks ago I decided to try contact lenses. The biggest problem is that I hate anything having anything close to my eye - and the idea of putting things in my eye definitely seemed unappealing. So when I went in for the trial, and was shown how to put them in, the biggest barrier was that everytime my finger, with a lens balanced on my fingertip, got close, I would blink. It took me quite a few goes to get the hang of it. About half an hour passed before I managed to get the first one in, but as soon as I had the technique for one - and found that it did not hurt in the slightest - I was able to put the second one in with half the attempts. Happily, contact lenses want to sit on your eye, and so getting them in position is no trouble at all. And taking them out is no bother either. Additionally, they are incredibly painless! I can easily forget about them when they are in. I had feared they would be uncomfortable, but this has not turned out to be the case at all.

For those of you who don't know, the technique for contact lenses is this: to put them in, you balance the lens on you index finger, and holding you eyelid out of the way with the other hand, touch the lens to your pupil. You then gently blink and it slides into position naturally. To take a lens out you slide it with your finger to the edge of your eye, which allows you to simply pluck it out. Simple! And I can now do these first time! Yay!

Since the trial was such a success I signed up for 10 (pairs) a month, of single-use daily disposables; I am happy with how this entire adventure has worked out.

No comments: