Wednesday 13 August 2008

Driving Theory Test

To cut a long story short, I passed with flying colours.

Now for the long story. I have, in the last month or so, started to have a go at learning to drive. The stuff that I thought would be hard, not hitting other cars for example, is easy. The stuff that is hard is the stuff that looked easy. Stopping in the right place at traffic lights for example, without braking in too judderish a fashion, and being able to move off at the right time, without stalling. That looked easy when my Dad did it.

Anyhoo, the sensible thing to do seemed to be to get the driving theory out of the way, and then focus on the lessons once I was done with that. So I spent the flight home looking over the highway code, and the few days since I got back looking at the past questions, in order to be ready for this exam.

But I was depressed. The hazard perception section of the test is one of the worst point-and-click reaction tests ever designed. It does not function properly, and I knew it would make me fail. That was not a good confidence boost.

So anyway, tearing my hair out, I sat on the tube and went all the way out to Uxbridge, where the testing centre is. I passed Wembley stadium on the way, which is one of my favourite buildings ever. While on the tube I looked over past questions, and this is the most important bit of the revision. Those past questions saved me!

So I got there, and it was cold. I found my way to the testing centre without getting lost, which I think is a grand achievement. I went in, waited in a line, and was sent to a computer, where they used a touch screen to get me to answer multiple choice questions. Now, you get given a lot of time, so I took it slow. This was a good decision.

The hazard perception part sucked. But I passed. The belief that saved me was, "if in doubt, click."

The I filled in a questionnaire pleasantly, for good luck, and was given my results. The first words were "congratulations", and that was all I needed. And so I got myself a burger and a magazine and was happy. Now all I can do is pray that my new found success carries on into my A-Level results.

Gulp.

No comments: